POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: St
Date: 25 Apr 2004 01:14:21
Message: <408b492d@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> In article <40889a54@news.povray.org>, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
> > > We've been there, remember? ;-)
> >
> >     Heh, yes, I think I was about 6-7yo, cross-legged, wearing
grey
> > shorts, grey socks, in our sports-hall, watching a black and white
TV
> > when they touched down. A nice memory.  :)
>
> Er...well, I didn't mean personally remembering the landing (I
wasn't
> even alive yet), but remembering that we have landed.

    Ah yes, but it was still a nice memory...  :)

> Damn...try this:
> http://tinyurl.com/34weg

   Thanks! Amazing images. Almost PoV-like.

>... I don't know if
> > it was magma, it could have been anything native I guess, but I
> > wouldn't know what.
>
> Technically, magma is the still molten stuff under the crust. It
becomes
> lava when it leaks out onto the surface, and some form of igneous
rock
> when it solidifies. Solidified lava is often called just "lava
rock".
> What you describe sounds like some kind of obsidian (volcanic glass)
> rich lava rock.

> >    I found many shell fossils too, if that's a clue?
>
> Shells are found in sedimentary rock, lava rock is igneous. Though
it
> could be from lava that flowed into sedimentary rock, or sedimentary
> rock formed from ash and volcanic debris falling on a body of water.
> Perhaps beach sand partially melted by lava? (That would explain the
> glassiness and the shells.)

Lava rock is what someone else called it back then too - I'd forgotten
that. Yes, it was very 'glassy' and would break cleanly, so I also
like the melted beach sand theory too - I guess that it actually
happens somewhere on earth.

    ~Steve~